Thursday, June 9, 2011

To Market, To Market...

Agh! Another week almost gone. I started writing this blog on Monday and now it is Thursday. Time flying and all that jazz...

~Practice Market @ home~


Well I did it. What an achievement for this little piggy. Last Sunday, 5th June I officially took My Little Lovebird to the public, like, real live people, not just computer people. It was at The Upper Market which is a fairly new market in a school not far from where I live on the Gold Coast.

To say I was nervous would be lying my tits off. I barely slept the night before and when I arrived I wanted to turn around and run, or hide behind my husband (who desperately wanted to get out of there. I think the crafty ladies scared him!)

But I didn't run. Or hide, well, I hid behind my table for a bit but then got brave. And had a triple-shot skim latte so talked my pants off. And I loved every last tiny minute of it!

Here is my little stall.....




Lovebird started when Chloe was about 5 weeks old. Many close to me must have thought I had lost the plot somewhere between giving birth and all those night feeds. I had a newborn baby, my first. She had colic, silent reflux and didn't sleep. But I was bloody determined that I was going to make this little dream of mine work. It was just funny timing that's all.

4 months of days and nights spent huddled over the sewing machine, cursing each mistake and unpicking 3m of bunting over and over. Turning the dining area into a rainbow of colour, cotton and loose threads. Oh and did I mention completely renovating the living and dining with new floors, paint etc while having my in-laws stay for 3 weeks?

My husband has been amazing through it all, poor bloke. There were days/weeks I could see the look on his face, wishing he had his house back and not the sweatshop that it had become. Wondering why I was doing it all. He has cooked, cleaned, been the best Daddy to Minky. I couldn't have done it without his amazing support (love you babe).

I don't know if it was a reaction to the fear of post-natal depression but something very deep inside me has refused to let failure be an option this time. I was and still am, a prime candidate for it and wether it be subconsciously or not, MLL and sewing have been my saviours.

I didn't sell much at the markets but I don't care. I feel like it was the first box to tick off in my new life. Mother, tick! Wife, tick! Crafter, tick! Business owner and runnerer, tick! Markets, tick! Those who knew me in my 'old life', well lets just say she is dead and buried. And I will never look back.

This is the real me.

For the first time in my life I 'AM' something to be proud of.

J xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment