Monday, August 1, 2011

If the dress fits...

I've been thinking for ages about a new direction. Left, right, straight ahead? Well a bit of each actually...

Since I this blog is a journal of my creative journey I will start with the basics.

I want to create. Design, sew, paint, draw, sing, dance etc. You name it. I want to work with colour and fabric. I want to create beautiful rooms from unique pieces. I want to make the old and dull full of life and colour.

No more sitting around reading interiors magazines and craft blogs. I AM going to do what I want.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but I have had a bit of a dilemma lately. I have felt for a long time that I want to have a go at making clothes, particularly for girls. But the market is swamped. Which kinda makes me think, well who am I really trying to please? You or me? I certainly don't making a living out of any of it so it has to be about making myself happy.

Girls' stuff is a natural progression for me as I have Minky who is now almost 8 months. Most of my friends have toddler girls too so there is an instant market for anything I make. But again, I don't really want to make to sell. And I don't want to be seen as following everyone else. If any moola comes from it then that's a bonus. It will really just fund my fabric addiction. I just want to create for the love of it. Having spent hours trawling e-patterns I have found a few cute ones that I will try, but for me it isn't so much about shmancy patterns but about colour and using awesome fabrics together to create fun clothes.

The other thing I want to do is more interior design focused. I'm about to embark on a custom order including a cushion. Not a huge deal but it's a tiny step in the direction I would like to see myself head. Could you imagine a whole coordinating My Little Lovebird Nursery range? Ooooooeeeeee!!! Yes please!

Anyways, back to dressmaking. I had a little practice run while I was on holidays. This was the outcome. Eek! Embarrassment time. My MIL gave me some old fabric to use. My French seams aren't perfect but I learnt a lot, like how to ruffle and use an overlocker.

So here goes. Please don't laugh!!

Cute pattern my MIL had at her place. For a first attempt EVER at sewing a dress it was bloody hard!!

First ever pillowcase dress! I even made my own bias. Awww clever me!

So that is that. Who knows what will pop up on my page in the coming months. I just have to repeat to myself 'do it because you love it. Do it for yourself'. That is what I really want.

J xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment