Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Life as I know it. And a bit of sewing.

Is it wrong that I am watching Sesame Street? Alone?

While you ponder that question I will keep going.

Life has changed. BIG TIME. I just had this awesome/horrifying flashback to this time a few years ago when I would have loved to still be in my PJ's at 9am. Instead I was running around in heels, late for work in the city. Large double-shot-skim latte in one hand, mobile in the other texting the girls about where Friday night drinks would be.

Never in a million years did I think I would be living in suburbia on the Gold Coast with a baby, doing my best impression of a stay-at-home Mum and housewife. Sigh. I do look back fondly at those days.

It isn't with a heavy heart I write this though. I adore my life - even if my husband thinks otherwise when he walks in the door at 6pm each night. I am reminded often of how lucky I am to be able to work from home (or not at all) and still have a comfortable roof over my head.

The curse of the suburban housewife has also sparked a few other memories. My own childhood in suburban Sydney in the late 70s and 80s. A time when we had no footpath on Castle Hill Road, Cherrybrook didn't exist and summer consisted of a long drive to Mona Vale beach or playing under the sprinkler.

The smell of jasmine and blossoms filled each September day with the promise of warmth and fun times ahead. As each day inched ever so longer, afternoons after school would be filled with playing in the backyard with friends (real or imaginary) in the sandpit or collecting snails. I remember once I was at a 'little friend's' house after school and we had each found about 3 snails each in her garden. Her Mum put mine in a snaplock bag to take home and as I sat in the back of Mum's Datsun 1600 on the short drive home I started sucking the the corner of the bag - yes I was an odd child! Suddenly I accidentally inhaled a peice of plastic. Terrified of what would happen to my snails, I didn't utter a word but spent the rest of the evening convinced I would stop breathing and drop dead. Needless to say I was fine, although I think Mum disposed of the snails rather quickly before they ate their way out and into her garden.

I look at Minky now and giggle at all the funny things she will do out in the garden.

It is her first spring.

All this has inspired me to make some pretty things that reflect all these memories. Spring flowers, caterpillars, garden pants and pretty dresses to get all muddy.

If I ever get any time to get out of my Farex-clad pj's and back behind the sewing machine!

Better go, Bananas have just started!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment